1 cup sourdough starter
1. The night before, make a “sponge” by mixing the first 3 ingredients in a large bowl and beating until smooth. Cover loosely and allow to stand in a warm place for 10-24 hours.
2. When ready to bake, stir into the “sponge” the salt, sugar, and enough flour to make a dough you can handle.
3. Round the dough and cover with a damp towel and let it rest 15 minutes. Add enough flour to make a stiff dough then knead until smooth and elastic.
4. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel and allow to rise until doubled.
5. Punch dough down and shape into 2 long loaves. Place on a cookie sheet that’s been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Let rise until doubled.
6. Preheat oven to 450°. Make three slashes across the top of loaves and brush with cold water just before baking.
7. Bake 30 minutes.
with sourdough starter.
First, put together your sponge the night before you want to bake your bread.
Mix your starter, flour and water.
The next day your sponge should be big and bubbly.
Stir down your sponge.
Next add your salt, sugar and enough of your white whole wheat flour to make a dough you can handle.
Round your dough up, cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Uncover your resting dough after 15 minutes.
Add more flour to your board.
Knead in enough of your flour to make a stiff dough.
Once your dough has doubled, punch it down and turn it out onto your board.
Shape into 2 long loaves and place them on a greased cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
Bake your loaves @ 450° for 30 minutes.
Delicious Sourdough French Bread!